The LoL removed champions are the playable characters who never made it past the development stage into the full game.
Unlike the upcoming Briar, these champions never make it to the full game. Often, it’s because some element of their design didn’t work in practice.
More often than not, these scrapped champions have some element of their design (visual or gameplay) adapted or revisited for other champions.
Very rarely is an actual fully released champion removed from the game.
LoL removed champions
A list of the scrapped champions that had elements make it to the full game are:
- Ao Shin: Aurelion Sol traces its development from this storm dragon, and honors it with the Storm Dragon skin
- Avasha: Elements exist in Katarina or Riven
- CeeCee the Hextech Engineer: Became early concept artwork for Braum
- Cyborg Cowboy: Its bounty hunter gameplay precedes Kindred’s hunt mechanic, while its visual inspired Jhin (and survives through High Noon Jhin)
- Eagle Rider: shares its concept with Quinn and Valor
- Ruby: Early concept artwork for Vi
- Gavid the Plant King: The tree monster was revisited with Maokai and its plant growth mechanics shown through Zyra
- Husk the Hive Commander: Eventually became Camille and Kai’Sa
- Iron Engineer: Concept art that shows similarities to Blitzcrank and Rumble
- Ivan the Mad Bomber: Its elements are reminiscent of Nautilus and Ziggs
- Komachi: Concepts of a scythe-bearing tank exist in Thresh
- Omen: Concepts live through Rek’Sai
- Priscilla the Spider Queen: Eventually became Elise
- Seth the Sand Mage: Elements of Seth live on through Azir
- Twin Yordles: A pair of yordles wielded bombs and a rocket launcher. Half of the pair eventually became Ziggs
- Urf the Manatee: an April Fool’s joke splash art
- Void Ray: Teased through various Battlecast skins, this champion ultimately became Bel’Veth
- Well Soterios the Hydrosoul: This model became Azir
What champion was removed from League of Legends?
There is only one instance in which the developers fully removed a champion from the playable roster.
This champion was Gangplank. In 2015 as part of the Burning Tides event, the developers temporarily disabled Gangplank from the game.
In the lore, this event is when Miss Fortune enacts her revenge on Gangplank, seemingly killing him.
The developers used this as an opportunity to remove him from the game.
In most regions, players could not use Gangplank at all during this time.
In China, Gangplank was playable, but only with his Spooky Gangplank ghost pirate skin (in keeping with his supposed death).
They then released Gangplank with his new rework, flavoring it as part of his revival.