The Sheriff of Piltover is one of the biggest bullies in the bottom lane and it is described in this Caitlyn landing guide. She has the highest auto-attack range in League of Legends. Her ability kit allows her to oppress enemies and create huge leads early in the game. She can completely shove enemies under the turret and take turret plates while denying enemy bottom laner from CS. This kind of big lead can usually be transferred to the other sides of the game and secure victories. In this Caitlyn laning Guide we will focus on utilizing her range and abilities to dominate the lane.
Identity of Caitlyn
To be a good Caitlyn player you must understand her identity in the game. Her power level is not the same at all times of the game. She is great in the early game, weak in mid-game, then strong again in the late game. You must have a splendid early game to compensate for the mid-game fall. So let’s identify our goals for the early game.
- Build up a CS lead
- Take turret plates
- Have priority in lane to help out jungler
- Pull the enemy jungler to your lane and survive
These are our goals as a Caitlyn player in the laning phase. However, it is always easier said than done. Achieving these goals requires knowledge and focus. This Caitlyn Guide will give you the concepts and details to reach these goals.
Caitlyn Laning Guide
- Push. Pushing the lane looks like the most simple and basic thing. However, it must be done correctly. You need to prepare the minions to die at the right time. When the first minion wave comes, don’t push hard. Instead, match the enemy laners push and try to poke them while they are farming. This way, you don’t push the lane close to the turret. Why do that? Because you want to be able to use your level 2 spike. When the second wave comes, try to kill the three melee minions as fast as possible, so you get to level 2 first. Since you haven’t pushed the first wave aggressively, the enemies will not be near their turret, so you can take advantage and engage while you are level 2 and they are level 1. Always try to stack up minions when you are going for the turret plates. Reaching the turret with three minions will not help you. But if you can control the wave, stack up your minions, and then reach the tower, you can squeeze in a lot more poke damage and deny a lot more CS.
- You can use your stacked-up waves to help your jungler. When you stack up a wave under the enemy turret, the enemy ADC will have to stay there to pick up those minions. At the same time, you can choose between going into the river or jungle to help out your jungler or staying in the lane to harass enemy laners more. If your jungler is in combat or about to get into combat, always help your jungler first.
- If you achieve all these goals for Caitlyn, you will have great pressure in the bottom lane, and this will pull enemy jungler to your lane. Always be aware of the enemy jungler. If you know he/she is close to your lane, position in a way that will make them think they can gank you, but you are safe. For example: if you have a ward and you see the jungler coming toward your lane, do not simply back off to your tower. Instead, make him believe he can gank you and stay at a knife’s edge where you know you are safe, but the enemy jungler doesn’t know you are aware of him.
In this Caitlyn Guide, we focused on her laning goals. If these goals are achieved, it is pretty easy to carry this lead to other lanes and win games for your team. It is tricky to assert dominance in the lane as Caitlyn. As it seems so easy to do with her range, it is also very dangerous if you don’t pay attention to the details. These concepts and details will help you in your laning. Check out my other article on the best support champions for Caitlyn.