The Baldur’s Gate 3 golden d20 is the ultimate cosmetic item in the game. It gives a shiny flair for those who beat Honor Mode.
Since Baldur’s Gate 3 is based on Dungeons & Dragons, the player will be rolling a lot of dice across their playtime.
Whenever the player needs to make an ability check or saving throw during dialogue sequences, the game helpfully represents this by rolling an actual digital die in front of them.
The die rolled can have different appearances. The most prestigious is, to no one’s surprise, the Golden D20.
Baldur’s Gate 3 golden d20
Whenever the player makes a roll in Baldur’s Gate 3, they can choose the appearance of their die. In the bottom left of the screen, players can select the die icon to open a menu of dice skins.
The default is the Scuffed Metal die design. From Hotfix #3 onwards, all players will also have the Behir Blue die option.
If players purchase the Baldur’s Gate 3 Digital Deluxe edition, they will also get an additional die skin. This die will be different depending on their platform.
- PC exclusive: Dragonflame Red
- PS5 exclusive: Prismatic Spray
- Xbox exclusive: Xanathar’s Barter
With Patch 5, there is now an additional die design that can only be unlocked by completing an in-game task.
Named Shining Honour, this is the coveted Golden D20 in Baldur’s Gate 3.
Players can only earn it by completing Honour Mode: the hardest difficulty in the game.
What is honor mode BG3?
Added in Patch 5, Honour Mode adds significant challenges. These include:
- Single Save Slot: Players will only have one save slot, meaning they have to beat the game without ever reloading. Whenever they quit the game, the game will autosave over that slot. Players also cannot load the save while playing. This means there is no save scumming.
- Harder Combat: Enemies have more health and better tactics, making fights more punishing.
- Legendary Actions: Prominent bosses will have additional abilities to add surprising new challenges to fights. For example, a boss might now be able to make a powerful retaliatory strike against an attacker, unlike in other difficulty modes.
- Stingier Vendors: Players will have to manage their gold carefully, because vendors will sell items at higher prices and buy items at much lower prices.
- Hungrier Party: Whenever you long rest, you’ll need to meet a camp supply total of 80 to fully regain resources spent that day.
To earn the golden d20 and associated Foehamer achievement, players must beat Baldur’s Gate 3 on Honour Mode.
Specifically, they must reach the end credits without the entire party dying in combat, or without their chosen protagonist dying in plot interactions.
This means the golden d20 excludes tactics like using Gale’s explosive circumstance to end the game at the climax of Act 2.
After the credits roll at the end of an Honour Mode playthrough, the player should earn the Foehammer achievement.
They can then check on a new playthrough that they can now choose the Shining Honour die.